With Passover clearly on the horizon, my thoughts turn to the eight days of menus that will have to be free of ‘hametz’ (which refers to leavened food) and that means going beyond eliminating mere bread. Anything containing even traces of the 5 grains: wheat, spelt, oats, rye, and barley, is taboo. It takes it even further beyond for the Ashkenazic Jew…….
a ban on rice, beans, and corn. No sweat for the paleo-eaters. And a curse on the vegans. But Halleluiah: quinoa gets the okay.
Here’s my list of dinners for Passover 2012 which I won’t stick to religiously…….it’s a template, and some of you may find it useful for ideas. There are some links to recipes from previous posts and below there is one new recipe. Otherwise, you’ll just have to
1. Spinach Mina, ( July post), Tomato and Onion Salad
2. Leek and Feta Patties, Stewed Apples and Pears, Beet and Arugula Salad
3. Filet of Salmon w/ Garlic Butter, Sicilian Potatoes (Dec. post), Rapini and Broccoli Duet
4. Moroccan Vegetable Stew (March post) w/ Quinoa Pilaf
5. Quinoa-Crusted Spinach and Goat Cheese Quiche, Zucchini Carrot Salad
6. Spicy Chicken Breasts, Orange Rutabaga Puree, Avocado and Mushroom Salad
7. (This one’s a bonus, since the first 2 nights you’ll be at Seders)
Mushroom Soup, Matza-Pizza, Eggplant Stuffed with Peppers and Tomatoes
8. An alternate: Parsnip Thing, Baked Potatoes, Spinach, Mushroom, and Apple Salad
Recipe: Parsnip Thing
1 lge parsnip
2 med. Carrots
1 lge onion
2 stalks celery
1½ to 2 c grated cheddar cheese or a combo of cheddar and Jarlsberg
1 tbsp olive oil
freshly ground pepper
After washing and peeling (where necessary) the vegetables, slice very thinly. It is easier with the onion and the large parsnip, to begin by cutting in half vertically.
Grind pepper over all. Cover with tin foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 min.
Remove foil. Scatter remaining cheese over top and return to oven for another 20 min.
Our early spring here in Toronto has yielded a generous bounty already of visual delights. Here are a few from recent walks about town……..